1. One of the best addiction recovery tips is to work with a treatment program or substance abuse specialist that offers support and resources to help you overcome your substance abuse. This can include substance abuse treatment professionals, inpatient rehabs, outpatient full day programs, and even 12 step programs.
2. If you want to stay sober then it is important to create a strong support network. This will ensure that you have support when you need it most, whether this is in the middle of the day or the middle of the night. Your support network can include friends, family members, mentors, sponsors, and even professionals who can talk you through the worst of the cravings and keep you on the right path.
3. One of the least promoted addiction recovery tips which can be very helpful is to be compassionate towards yourself. Beating yourself up over the past will not help you stay in recovery, in fact this can have the opposite effect. When you develop self acceptance and accept that you are not perfect you are more likely to stay in recovery and less likely to relapse.
4. In order to stay sober you need to avoid temptation. This may mean cutting off old friends who you used to drink or do drugs with, and avoiding places where these activities took place in the past.
5. If you have any co-occurring disorders or mental illness then these need to be addressed at the same time. If one disorder is treated but others are left without treatment then this will leave you with a higher relapse risk and put your permanent recovery in jeopardy.