1. Do drugs or alcohol interfere with your daily activities? If drugs or alcohol interfere with your daily activities or responsibilities then you should seek substance abuse treatment. This includes work, school, childcare, housekeeping chores, and other areas of your daily life. If any of these have been disrupted or neglected due to substance abuse then treatment is essential so recovery can begin.
2. Have drugs or alcohol caused you legal or financial problems? If you have ever experienced legal or financial difficulties because of alcohol or drug use then you should seek out treatment. This includes being arrested for DUI, possession, being under the influence, public intoxication, and many other charges. Financial difficulties caused by drug or alcohol purchases may make it hard to pay all of your bills and typical monthly expenses.
3. Do drugs or alcohol cause you to take risks that you shouldn’t? If you take excessive risks when drunk or high this can be a sign that you need help in dealing with your substance abuse and addiction.
4. Do you use drugs or alcohol on a regular or daily basis? Treatment for substance abuse should be sought immediately if you use drugs or alcohol on a regular or daily basis. An addiction may make you feel the need to get high or drunk to compensate for negative emotions, and this will not improve without effective treatment.
5. Do you feel like your life is out of control because of drugs or alcohol? If you have lost control of your life or feel like you are in a downward spiral caused by substance abuse then you should seek help for this problem. Substance abuse usually gets worse over time unless treatment is received and you recover from these problems.