1. Anxiety and Related Disorders- “These mental disorders involve a sense of fear, apprehension, or dread. In addition to the emotions you will also usually experience sweating, a rapid heartbeat, and even nausea and dizziness at times. The negative emotions are caused by a person, place, or situation with this type of disorder. Disorders in this category include generalized anxiety, PTSD, OCD, panic disorder, phobias, and social anxiety.
2. Psychotic Disorders- Psychotic disorders are mental disorders that are characterized by a distortion in reality, thinking, and awareness. Delusions and hallucinations are common with psychotic disorders, and one of the most common in this category is schizophrenia.
3. Impulse Control and Addiction Disorders- These mental disorders involve a difficulty or inability to control your impulses or abstain from actions which you know are harmful or dangerous. Substance abuse, pyromania, kleptomania, compulsive gambling, and compulsive shopping are all impulse control and addiction disorders.
4. Affective Disorders- These mental disorders are also referred to as mood disorders. They include bipolar disorder, depression, and mania. Affective disorders involve emotions which are excessive or extreme.
5. Personality Disorders- Personality disorders are mental disorders which cause the individual to have personality traits that are extreme or inflexible. These illnesses can create serious problems in daily life and usual activities such as work, school, and relationships.
6. Eating Disorders- Eating disorders are mental disorders that revolve around food and eating patterns. These include anorexia, bulimia, and binge eating. They usually include poor body image and low self esteem.