If you have a friend or loved one who is addicted to designer drugs, also commonly called club drugs, then it is important to understand how you can help. With more than 200 of these substances available in many areas designer drug addiction is a growing problem, and individuals who struggle with this type of addiction require help. What can you do if someone you care about is placing their health and safety at risk because of this type of addiction?
- Do some research so that you understand the symptoms associated with an addiction to designer drugs. If you know what to look for then you are far more likely to realize that this is a problem in the first place.
- Consider arranging an intervention for your loved one. An intervention specialist can help you determine when, where, and how to confront the friend or relative about their designer drug use in order to increase the chance that the individual will agree to get help for their problem.
- Locate a treatment program that handles addiction to designer drugs. Make sure that the chosen rehab has a high rate of success, and that the program offers various treatment options in order to achieve a complete recovery.
- When confronting the individual with an addiction to designer drugs make it clear that you love and support the person but their drug use is unacceptable.
- Make a list of all the ways that the addiction to designer drugs affects the entire family and circle of friends. Substance abuse harms everyone around the user, not just the person who uses the drugs.