Are you concerned that you have a substance abuse problem but you are not positive on this yet? There are a number of important signs and symptoms that can help you identify whether or not substance abuse is an issue. The important questions which can help you determine if substance abuse is occurring include:
- Do you ever feel that your alcohol or drug use has spiraled out of control?
- Does it seem like you can not go even a short time without using?
- Have you tried to cut down or stop the drinking or drug use but you can’t?
- Do you ever lie about whether you are using substances?
- Do you fudge how much you have had when someone asks, or lie at times about this subject?
- Do family members worry about your substance use and habits?
- Does your substance abuse cause feelings of shame, sadness, or guilt?
- Have you ever missed work or school because of substance use?
- Have drugs or alcohol ever caused you legal troubles?
- Have you ever sobered up and regretted something that you did while under the influence?
- Have you ever stolen or lied in order to get money for alcohol or drugs?
Often the individual with a substance abuse problem is the last one to admit that help is needed. If you answered yes to one or more of the questions then you may need substance abuse treatment. The more yes answers you give the more likely it is that help is needed.