The studies and statistics show that individuals being treated for substance abuse or addiction have a relapse rate comparable to many chronic conditions. This makes the choice of treatment program even more important. Individual counseling is required to root out the specific causes of the substance abuse or other addiction so these can finally be resolved. More than 1 million people are admitted to a substance abuse and addiction treatment facility each year, and many of these individuals will need further rounds of treatment after a relapse due to ineffective treatment methods.
Statistics show a surprising trend for substance abuse and addiction. These include the following facts and figures:
- Close to 9% of the American population over the age of 12 have used some form of street drug more than once.
- More than 40% of substance abuse treatment admissions are for alcohol abuse.
- 1 in 5 treatment facility admissions is due to opiate abuse or addiction. This includes heroin use, and this percentage may be higher in certain areas.
- Approximately 1 in 6 admissions to a substance abuse treatment facility nationwide is due to marijuana use.
- Men tend to have a higher relapse rate than women, and experts believe that this is due to the fact that women will generally engage in group counseling and individual sessions.
- Addiction can be properly managed with the right treatment methods, so that the substance or activity that is the basis of the addiction no longer affects your life in the same destructive way.